Tatum credits Gordon-Levitt, not Fox, with the idea to remake 'Guys and Dolls' (Photo: WireImage/Getty Images)
"The studio didn't come up with that idea. Joseph Gordon-Levitt had that idea," the 33-year-old star of the upcoming action film "White House Down" told Yahoo! Movies on Wednesday. "I love that the studio tried to claim it," Tatum said facetiously.
Just days ago, Fox secured the movie rights to the remake and named Tatum and Gordon-Levitt as the top contenders for the leading roles – roles first made famous by Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando.
"But that was all Joe's idea. We've been trying to look for something to do together for a while now," Tatum clarified.
Buddies: Tatum and Gordon-Levitt at a sporting event last year (Photo: Getty)
The two buds recently appeared in a song-and-dance number during the Oscars -- a seeming prelude to their "Guys and Dolls" involvement... or lack thereof. "We've been trying to figure out the perfect thing for us to jump in the pool together in. We both love music and big [dance] musicals. … Joe came to me with 'Guys and Dolls' and he's more of a musician than I am so I'm going to let him start cooking it up and then we'll see where it goes from there," Tatum said.
And to be clear, it's not even a movie at the moment, Tatum pointed out. "There's no script, there's no director. It was literally an idea that Joe had and I was like, 'Yeah, man, I'm down.' He's kind of away right now trying to cook up what the music could be and if he can fall in love with the music then we'll do the movie but other than that it's not a real project."
Read more from our interview with Tatum Thursday afternoon when we'll also be giving you a first look at the "White House Down" trailer premiere.
"White House Down" enters theaters June 28. As for "Guys and Dolls" – the release date appears to hinge on some peacemaking between Fox and their sought after stars.
- Arts & Entertainment
- Channing Tatum
- Guys and Dolls
- 20th Century Fox