The 'Ghent Altarpiece' mystery
If Rotterdam's stunning heist of Picasso, Monet and Matisse paintings last month focused attention on the murky world of art theft, Ghent's gothic Saint Bavo cathedral has been at the center of a crime that has bedeviled the art world for decades. The Just Judges panel of the Van Eyck brothers’ multi-panel Gothic masterpiece hasn't been seen since 1934, when chief suspect Arsene Goedertier suffered a stroke at a political rally close to Ghent and died after murmuring possibe clues to the crime to a confidant.
- Mon, Nov 19, 2012 11:00 AM EST
1 - 4 of 50
Most Popular Stories
- Marvel's Phase Three: A Robert Downey … Movie Talk - 20 hours ago
- Fox News 'Outraged' by Justice Department … The Wrap - 15 hours ago
- First Look: Jennifer Lawrence is Blue … Movie Talk - 18 hours ago
- Keanu Reeves Looks Bloated at Cannes … Us Weekly - 19 hours ago
- Jane Fonda Wears Skin-Baring Versace … Us Weekly - 16 hours ago
Which Captain Kirk is your favorite?