The 'Ghent Altarpiece' mystery
If Rotterdam's stunning heist of Picasso, Monet and Matisse paintings last month focused attention on the murky world of art theft, Ghent's gothic Saint Bavo cathedral has been at the center of a crime that has bedeviled the art world for decades. The Just Judges panel of the Van Eyck brothers’ multi-panel Gothic masterpiece hasn't been seen since 1934, when chief suspect Arsene Goedertier suffered a stroke at a political rally close to Ghent and died after murmuring possibe clues to the crime to a confidant.
1 - 4 of 50
Most Popular Stories
- The 'Return of the Jedi' That Could … Movie Talk - Fri, May 24, 2013 4:26 PM EDT
- Amanda Bynes: "I Don't Drink or Do Drugs," … Us Weekly - 6 hours ago
- 'Fast & Furious 6' New Mega-Villain … Movie Talk - Fri, May 24, 2013 11:27 AM EDT
- Ann Curry Failed to Get Angelina Jolie … Us Weekly - 22 hours ago
- Amanda Bynes Wears Blonde Wig in First … Us Weekly - 21 hours ago
30 years ago, Ewoks debuted in ‘Return of the Jedi.’ Are you for or against the furry inhabitants of Endor?