New York City will not be able to look at footage and other material from Ken Burns’ The Central Park Five documentary, a federal judge ruled today. U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald L. Ellis ruled in favor of Burns’ Florentine Films’ November 2012 motion to quash the city’s efforts to see outtakes, notes and more from the film. “Florentine has established entitlement to the reporter’s privilege” said the judge Tuesday in his 15-page order (read it here) “Defendants have failed to overcome the reporter’s privilege by making a showing that the information they seek pertains to a significant issue and is unavailable from alternative sources,” he added. Burns and fellow filmmakers David McMahon and Sarah Burns’ documentary centers on the wrongful conviction of five youths in 1989 for the heavily reported brutal rape of a jogger in the NYC park. Upon their release, the now-grown men filed a $50 million lawsuit against the city. On October 2nd of last year, the City of New York issued subpoenas against Florentine in an effort to see whether there is material or documentation from the making of the film that could exonerate their officials’ handling of the initial case. “While journalistic privilege under the law is very important, we firmly believe it did not apply here. This film is a one-sided advocacy piece that depicts the plaintiffs’ version of events as undisputed fact. It is our view that we should be able to view the complete interviews, not just those portions that the filmmakers chose to include,” said the City Attorney’s office today after the ruling. City lawyers are considering whether to take a new approach to the matter, their office said Tuesday. IFC Films released Central Park Five theatrically on November 23 and on VOD on December 7.
Ken Burns Wins ‘Central Park Five’ Legal Battle With NYCBy DOMINIC PATTEN | Deadline.com – Tue, Feb 19, 2013 7:59 PM EST
Explore Related Content
FILE - This July 21, 2012 file photo shows filmmaker Ken Burns posing in Beverly Hills, Calif. Burns and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Siddartha Mukherjee are collaborating for a film based on Mukherjee's book "The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer." (Photo by Matt Sayles/Invision/AP, File)
News for You
- 'Man of Steel' Controversy: Does Superman Go Too Far? (Spoiler Alert)
SPOILER ALERT: If you haven’t seen the new Superman flick "Man of Steel," but plan to, you may want to leave this Burning Q page right now. It’s spoiler-tastic! Still here? OK, consider yourself warned. Superman violently kills General Zod … Continue reading →
- Miss Connecticut wins Miss USA contest in Vegas
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A 25-year-old accountant from Connecticut with a secret glamorous side is the new Miss USA.
- You Won't Believe What Henry Cavill Did Before He Was Superman
Superman walked my dog. Twice. How many people can say that? Back in 2005 I became friends with an extremely handsome restaurant host named Henry. Little did I know it was Henry Cavill, on the cusp of fame. I used … Continue reading →
- Mom: RI theater threw out disabled girl over noise
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A woman says she and her 5-year-old developmentally disabled daughter were thrown out of a theater during a "Beauty and the Beast" performance because the girl was making giggling and humming noises she makes when she's happy.
- Family tweets indicate Kim Kardashian gives birth
LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looks to be a baby girl for Kim Kardashian and her rapper boyfriend Kanye West. Or does it?