[Warning: This story contains spoilers from Thursday's "Suddenly" episode of Grey's Anatomy.]
After November’s fall finale that saw Teddy (Kim Raver) lose her husband Henry (Scott Foley), Grey’s Anatomy returned Thursday for its winter premiere, “Suddenly.”
In the episode, Teddy (finally) learned of her husband’s passing on Cristina’s OR table after Owen kept it from her so she could complete a complicated surgery. Here are five things we learned from the episode.
1. Cristina breaks down. After Owen (Kevin McKidd) asks her to assist on Teddy’s marathon heart surgery, Cristina (Sandra Oh) has a rare emotional breakdown, telling her husband/chief of surgery that she can’t go in there. It’s then that she realizes that he’s yet to tell Teddy of Henry’s death. Owen’s defense? Teddy’s patient has to make it, otherwise everything will have been for nothing.
2. Teddy finds out. After Cristina ultimately goes in to assist Teddy, her mentor thanks her for operating on Henry and apologizes for lying to her when she and Owen opted to keep Henry’s identity from her. A teary-eyed Cristina stoically accepts the apology and scrubs in for the marathon surgery that featured Teddy dancing in an effort to stay awake. Once their patient is out of the woods, April comes in to close and Cristina tells Teddy, breaking down in the news in a robotic fashion as she would to a patient. A tearful Teddy tells Cristina that she needs her to say it. “Henry is dead,” she replies, with tears in her eyes. Teddy thanks her and leaves, at which point Cristina breaks down again. Teddy later visits Henry’s OR to see her husband for a final moment with him.
3. Cristina lets Owen have it. “Who cares who told her?! I told her because you made me stand there and talk, and joke and lie to her joke with her for hours – for hours,” she says, before warning him that Teddy won’t want to hear his explanation for shielding her from the news, either.
4. Derek (Patrick Dempsey) and Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) get Zola back. After giving up their fight for Zola, Meredith worked tirelessly in a failed attempt to save the lives of a patient’s parents who were injured in the ambulance crash, Meredith’s fight was rewarded: with Zola. After being up for 39 straight hours Meredith is finally home with Derek. When going to answer the door and expecting a pizza, the adoption agent stands at the door, with Zola in hand. “She’s yours,” she tells them.
5. Everyone likes Mark’s new girlfriend, Julia (Holly Fain). A jealous Lexie (Chyler Leigh), recently dumped by Jackson (Jesse Williams), winds up liking her after the episode’s second-most-awkward surgery that found her in the same room with Derek, Mark (Eric Dane) and Julia. Afterward, a nervous Julia asks Lexie if she was OK in surgery, revealing a very Lexie-like personality when she notes her respect for Derek as a surgeon – and as Mark’s best friend.
What did you think of the episode? How do you think Teddy will respond to Cristina and Owen’s lies? Hit the comments with your thoughts.
Grey’s Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on ABC.